CAF President Patrice Motsepe Backs Zimbabwe to Host More Major Football Tournaments
CAF president Patrice Motsepe says Zimbabwe has the potential to host more major continental football competitions if the country continues investing in infrastructure and football development.
Motsepe made the remarks while reflecting on Zimbabwe’s hosting of the CAF African Schools Football Championship finals earlier this year, which drew teams and football officials from across the continent.
Also Read: Magwizi Lands Powerful COSAFA Role As Zimbabwe Hosts Motsepe And Regional Football Bosses
Zimbabwe Impresses CAF
Speaking during a video interview with The Sunday Mail, Motsepe commended Zimbabwe for successfully staging the youth tournament and said the country had demonstrated its ability to organise international football events.
He said the championship had showcased some of the continent’s best young talent while also highlighting Zimbabwe’s capacity to host continental competitions.
According to Motsepe, the successful event proved that Zimbabwe could attract more CAF tournaments in the future.
Infrastructure Key to Hosting More Events
The CAF boss, however, stressed that continued investment in football infrastructure remains essential if Zimbabwe is to regularly host larger competitions.
He said governments and stakeholders across Africa needed to recognise the value of investing in football, adding that the sport contributes to economic growth and social development.
Motsepe pointed to the need for improved stadiums, stronger football development programmes and better sporting facilities to help Zimbabwe compete for major hosting rights on the continent.
COSAFA Congress Underway in Harare
Motsepe is currently in Harare for the COSAFA Congress, which has brought together football administrators and leaders from Southern Africa and other parts of the continent.
The gathering is also serving as the elective congress for the COSAFA Executive Committee, with regional football matters and development strategies expected to dominate discussions.
The post CAF President Patrice Motsepe Backs Zimbabwe to Host More Major Football Tournaments appeared first on iHarare News.








