Zimbabwe In Shock As 2 889 Arrested In Massive ZiG80 Million Drug Bust

Crystal Meth And Cocaine Seized In Massive Zimbabwe Drug Crackdown

Zimbabwe has been rocked by revelations that nearly 3 000 people were arrested while drugs worth almost ZiG80 million were confiscated during a sweeping nationwide crackdown on drug and substance abuse.

The explosive figures were revealed during the 15th post-Cabinet media briefing held in Harare on May 19, 2026, where the Government gave an update on the country’s escalating war against dangerous drugs.

According to The Herald, Defence Minister Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri, who chairs the Zimbabwe National Committee on Drug and Substance Abuse, presented the report to Cabinet.

Authorities said the country’s Multi-Sectoral Drug and Substance Abuse Plan for 2024 to 2030 was now in full force as officials intensify efforts to disrupt illegal drug networks and tackle growing substance abuse among youths.

Thousands Arrested As Drug Bases Are Busted

Cabinet confirmed that 2 889 accused persons had already been arraigned before the courts as the crackdown gathers momentum across the country.

The government also said 381 convictions had already been secured.

The operations reportedly targeted suppliers, users and illegal drug hubs operating in parts of Manicaland and Mashonaland West provinces.

“Approximately 453 drug suppliers, 2 436 individual end-users, and 31 drug bases were dismantled in the selected districts of Manicaland and Mashonaland West Provinces,” Cabinet said.

Authorities revealed that drugs and illegal substances worth approximately ZiG79 931 130 had been confiscated during the operations.

The seized substances included crystal meth, cocaine, ecstasy tablets, dagga, khat and unregistered medicines, including cough syrups.

Cabinet said law enforcement agencies were continuing efforts to break illegal supply chains and dismantle networks distributing dangerous substances around the country.

Government Closes Illegal Liquor Premises

As part of the wider operation, authorities also launched inspections targeting liquor outlets across Zimbabwe.

According to the Cabinet, 615 liquor-licensed premises were inspected nationwide.

The government said 36 unlicensed premises were fined and closed after authorities found them operating illegally.

Cabinet also highlighted awareness campaigns and prevention programmes targeting vulnerable communities and young people.

“Other strategic interventions include robust awareness and prevention campaigns covering 285 918 beneficiaries; acquisition of drug-testing kits and the re-integration of 171 children with their families,” Cabinet said.

Officials further confirmed that 32 children living and working on the streets had been removed during the operations.

US$1 Million Fund Launched For Youth Empowerment

The government said rehabilitation and empowerment programmes were also being expanded as part of efforts to reduce drug abuse.

According to the Cabinet, approximately 37,937 youths and women had already benefited from rehabilitation, entrepreneurship and training programmes.

Authorities also announced the launch of a US$1 million youth empowerment fund (about R18.2 million).

Cabinet said the anti-drug strategy focuses on prevention, rehabilitation, psychosocial support, economic strengthening and legal reforms.

“Government continues to spearhead the legislative and policy framework in order to strengthen coordination, accountability, prevention, rehabilitation, treatment and enforcement interventions,” Cabinet said.

Officials said the programme would continue until 2030 as Zimbabwe intensifies efforts to combat drug and substance abuse nationwide.

The post Zimbabwe In Shock As 2 889 Arrested In Massive ZiG80 Million Drug Bust appeared first on iHarare News.