Seven People Killed In Kenya Safari Helicopter Crash

Kenya Safari Horror: Seven Die In Helicopter Crash Near Mount Ololokwe

Seven people have died after a helicopter carrying tourists crashed in a remote area of northern Kenya.

The aircraft went down while travelling from Loisaba Conservancy towards the Ewaso Nyiro area in Samburu County.

Kenya’s aviation authority confirmed the crash and said investigations had begun to establish what caused the accident.

Six passengers and the pilot were aboard the helicopter.

Also Read: Zambian Vice-President escapes unhurt after military helicopter crash

Ecuador Intelligence Chief Among Victims

The identities of the victims were initially withheld by authorities.

However, Ecuador’s Transport Minister Roberto Luque later confirmed that National Intelligence Center chief Michele Sensi-Contugi and his wife, Stephany Hollihan, were among those killed.

Sensi-Contugi, 42, had previously worked as a businessman before being appointed to lead Ecuador’s intelligence agency in 2024.

He was also regarded as a close associate of President Daniel Noboa, whose administration has faced a serious security crisis.

Luque paid tribute to the couple, saying they had died far too soon and expressing sympathy for their children and parents.

US Journalist Also Killed

An American journalist was also among the victims.

US broadcaster NBCUniversal confirmed the death of Jose Alberto Suarez, who served as president and general manager of Telemundo 31, Telemundo 49 and Telemundo Fort Myers-Naples.

The US Department of State said five American citizens were among those killed.

A State Department spokesperson said the US Embassy was working with Kenyan authorities and providing consular assistance to the victims’ families.

Helicopter Carrying Safari Guests

The helicopter was operated by Kenyan company Lady Lori Helicopters.

The company said the aircraft was conducting a charter flight when it crashed.

The helicopter was carrying guests travelling with safari company &Beyond.

The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority identified the aircraft as a Eurocopter EC130 B4.

The crash occurred in rugged terrain near the foothills of Mount Ololokwe, an area popular with tourists visiting Kenya’s northern safari destinations.

Search And Recovery Operation

Emergency teams faced difficult conditions while trying to reach the wreckage.

Tropic Air Kenya said it sent two helicopters to support the search and rescue operation.

The Kenya Red Cross also joined a multi-agency response aimed at reaching the crash site and recovering the victims.

Local reports said three bodies remained trapped inside the wreckage on Wednesday evening.

Recovery efforts were complicated by continued flames at the crash site.

Investigation Underway

Samburu police commander David Nkoroi confirmed that all seven people on board had died.

Authorities have not yet announced the cause of the crash.

The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority said an investigation was underway.

The post Seven People Killed In Kenya Safari Helicopter Crash appeared first on iHarare News.