National Sports Stadium Handed Back to Government After Major Refurbishment
Zimbabwe’s flagship football venue, the National Sports Stadium, has officially been handed back to Government following the completion of major refurbishment works carried out through a partnership between the State and Sakunda Holdings.
The handover marks a significant step in Zimbabwe’s push to restore international football on home soil after the stadium was barred from hosting CAF-sanctioned matches in 2023 for failing to meet required standards.
The once ageing facility has undergone an extensive facelift aimed at transforming it into a modern football venue capable of meeting continental expectations.
Also Read: National Sports Stadium Set for May 25 Reopening as Renovations Near Completion
Major Upgrades Completed
The rehabilitation project included the installation of a new playing surface, replacement bucket seats, upgraded dugouts, refurbished changing rooms and improvements to the players’ tunnel and technical areas.
Although some minor works remain under separate contractors, authorities say the stadium is now ready to begin hosting local football matches.
Minister of Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture Anselem Sanyatwe said the venue was now fit for use.
He said the turf, seating areas, movable dugouts and players’ tunnel had all been completed, while fittings for the changing rooms were also in place ahead of the official reopening.
Sakunda Praises Partnership With Government
Sakunda Holdings Chief Operations Officer Mberikwazvo Charles Chitambo said the company was satisfied with the progress achieved through its collaboration with Government.
He revealed that 60 000 bucket seats had been purchased during the project, with 44 000 installed in the stadium and the remainder handed over to Government for future use and replacement purposes.
The stadium’s new safe seating capacity now stands at 44 000 following the refurbishment works.
Football Leaders Welcome Development
Football authorities have described the reopening of the stadium as a major boost for Zimbabwean football, especially for the national teams that have spent years hosting international fixtures outside the country.
Zimbabwe Football Association president Nqobile Magwizi said the country was close to ending the costly and emotionally draining period of playing home matches abroad.
He commended both Government and Sakunda Holdings for driving the project forward and expressed confidence that only a few finishing touches remained before CAF inspections.
Premier Soccer League chairperson Isaiah Mupfurutsa said the reopening would also reduce pressure on existing match venues such as Rufaro Stadium.
CAF Clearance in Sight
Work on the remaining entrance gate is nearing completion, while some finishing installations in the changing rooms are expected once tiling work is done.
The reopening comes amid renewed excitement around domestic football, with recent league matches attracting strong crowds, including the Harare Derby which drew more than 25 000 paying fans.
Attention will now shift to CAF inspections as Zimbabwe seeks final clearance to resume hosting international football matches at home.
The post National Sports Stadium Handed Back to Government After Major Refurbishment appeared first on iHarare News.









