Kariba Disaster: Government Appeals For Help As 6 Bodies Remain Unidentified
The Government has appealed to the public to help identify six bodies recovered from the Lake Kariba boat disaster, as the death toll from the tragedy has now reached 92.
The appeal was made after authorities recorded 84 recovered bodies in an earlier update. Eight more bodies have since been recovered, pushing the confirmed death toll to 92 as the search operation continues.
Government Appeals Over Six Unidentified Bodies
Mashonaland West Provincial Affairs and Devolution Minister Marian Chombo said six of the bodies recovered at the time remained unidentified.
Speaking on Monday, August 17, Chombo appealed to members of the community who may be able to assist authorities with the identification process.
She said:
“So far we have recorded 84 bodies recovered and 67 who survived and I would also want to appeal to the public that we have about six bodies which have not been identified.”
Chombo added:
“So we are calling upon the community to please come and help us identify these bodies.”
The latest increase in the death toll means the authorities are now dealing with 92 confirmed deaths.
Kariba Boat Disaster Investigation Underway
Transport and Infrastructural Development Minister Felix Mhona visited the accident scene on Sunday, August 16, and met operators of boats and ferries on Lake Kariba.
Preliminary investigations are examining possible navigational error, suspected overloading and failure to heed adverse weather warnings as factors that may have contributed to the accident.
The passenger vessel, owned by the Rural Infrastructure Development Authority (RIDA), capsized near Long Island.
President Emmerson Mnangagwa has declared the tragedy a state of disaster. A technical report was expected to be presented to Cabinet on Tuesday, August 18.
What Happens Next?
Search and recovery efforts remain underway as authorities continue accounting for victims and assisting affected families.
The identification of the remaining bodies remains a key part of the response as investigators work to establish the full circumstances surrounding the disaster.
The post Kariba Tragedy: Govt Seeks Public Help Over 6 Unidentified Bodies As Death Toll Hits 92 appeared first on iHarare News.








