Government Moves to Rebuild Glen View Area 8 After Massive Fire

Government Moves to Rebuild Glen View Area 8 After Massive Fire

Government says it is moving quickly to rebuild and reorganise the Glen View Area 8 Home Industry Complex following another destructive fire that reduced stalls, furniture and equipment to ashes.

The latest inferno, which broke out early yesterday morning, left hundreds of traders counting heavy losses at one of Harare’s busiest informal manufacturing hubs.

Authorities have now prioritised the restoration of water and electricity at the complex to pave the way for reconstruction works.

Also Read: Fire Tears Through Glenview Area 8 Market Yet Again As 483 Stalls Burn Down

Authorities Push for Urgent Reconstruction

According to The Herald, Civil Protection Unit chief director Nathan Nkomo said Government was working with provincial leaders and stakeholders to speed up recovery efforts at the site.

Speaking after touring the damaged complex, Nkomo said Cabinet had already resolved that a structured redevelopment plan for Glen View Area 8 should be implemented urgently.

He said restoring basic services such as water and electricity was critical to ensuring rebuilding efforts begin without delays.

Officials are also expected to work alongside investors and local authorities as part of the reconstruction process.

Complex Hit by Repeated Fires

The Glen View Area 8 Home Industry Complex has experienced at least 14 major fire incidents over the past two decades, with cumulative losses estimated at more than US$3 million.

The complex is a major source of income for thousands of families and small business operators involved in carpentry, metalwork and furniture production.

Yesterday, smoke continued to rise from sections of the market as burnt roofing sheets, twisted metal frames and destroyed goods littered the area.

Several traders were seen inspecting the remains of their workspaces after losing tools, furniture and stock in the blaze.

Traders to Be Temporarily Relocated

Harare City Council Small and Medium Enterprises Committee chairperson Councillor Denford Ngadziore said affected traders would temporarily move to Chemhanza Grounds while reconstruction takes place.

However, he noted that relocation would only happen after council completes the necessary approval processes.

Ngadziore said reconstruction of the complex is expected to continue while traders operate from the temporary site.

Traders Suspect Foul Play

Some traders believe the fire may have been deliberately started and are calling for a full forensic investigation.

One stallholder, Robert Mhangarai, claimed suspicious activity had been noticed at the complex shortly before the fire broke out.

He said traders had been chased away from the area by dogs on Saturday evening, raising fears that some individuals may have been planning criminal activity.

Another trader alleged she had received threats from a member of the local cooperative after refusing to pay an additional US$20 despite already settling required levies and taxes.

Goods Worth Thousands Destroyed

Chairperson of the stallholders, Collins Chibhema, said the fire destroyed goods belonging to hundreds of traders who used the site as a storage and distribution centre.

He said many operators would now struggle to recover after losing finished products and equipment in the blaze.

Authorities have not yet established the cause of the fire, and investigations are still underway.

The post Government Moves to Rebuild Glen View Area 8 After Massive Fire appeared first on iHarare News.