Themba Gorimbo Announces Retirement From MMA: ‘I Dared To Be Someone And Something And Failed’

Themba Gorimbo Says ‘I Failed’ In Emotional Retirement Message

Zimbabwean UFC fighter Themba Gorimbo has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts after suffering three straight defeats in the UFC. The 35-year-old shared an emotional message on social media on Thursday, 21 May 2026, saying he was walking away from the sport because his dream of becoming a UFC champion had not materialised.

The announcement shocked many fans who had followed Gorimbo’s inspirational rise from hardship to the UFC stage. The fighter, who once revealed he had just US$7 (about R126) in his bank account before a major fight, said he had given everything to the sport before deciding to step away.

Gorimbo Shares Emotional Retirement Message

Gorimbo confirmed his retirement in a heartfelt social media post after his recent split-decision loss to Jonathan Micallef at UFC Perth earlier in May 2026.

In the statement, Gorimbo admitted that failing to become a UFC champion influenced his decision to retire.

“Thank you to UFC and everyone. I dared to be someone and something and failed. Gave all I can in the sport and I am walking away from the sport.”

He added:

“My dream was to be a UFC champion and if I cannot be that I am going to walk away from the sport. It’s not easy but I’ve tried.”

Gorimbo also hinted that he may still remain connected to MMA in future.

“Maybe I will make a comeback as a coach or manager someday but for now the focus will be my family.”

The Zimbabwean fighter officially ended his MMA career with a professional record of 14 wins and seven defeats, including a 4-4 run in the UFC.

From Sleeping In A Gym To Fighting In The UFC

Gorimbo became one of Africa’s most talked-about UFC fighters after opening up about his struggles during his early days in the United States. He previously revealed that he had been living in a back room at the gym where he trained while trying to establish himself in the UFC.

His story caught the attention of Hollywood actor Dwayne Johnson, popularly known as The Rock. Johnson later surprised Gorimbo by buying him a house in Florida after being moved by his story and charitable efforts back home in Zimbabwe.

According to Heavy Sports, Gorimbo also gained admiration after announcing plans to auction his UFC fight kit to help fund a water project in Zimbabwe despite his own financial difficulties.

The welterweight joined the UFC in 2023 and quickly became a fan favourite because of his life story and determination. He put together a four-fight winning streak before his momentum slowed down following losses to Vicente Luque and Jonathan Micallef.

Fans React To Gorimbo’s Decision

Many MMA supporters reacted emotionally online after Gorimbo confirmed his retirement.

Some fans praised him for reaching the UFC despite coming from humble beginnings, while others encouraged him to reconsider and possibly return later in another role.

Others pointed out that retirement announcements in MMA do not always last long, with several fighters returning after taking time away from the sport.

For now, Gorimbo says his priority is spending time with his family after more than a decade competing professionally in mixed martial arts.

The post Themba Gorimbo Announces Retirement From MMA: ‘I Dared To Be Someone And Something And Failed’ appeared first on iHarare News.